Hundreds arrive in Newcastle for People’s Blockade of the World’s Largest Coal Port, with thousands expected over weekend  

Thursday 27 November 2025

Hundreds of people have arrived at Foreshore Park in Newcastle to take part in the People’s Blockade of the World's Largest Coal Port, with numbers expected to swell into the thousands over the weekend.  A full program for the five day event is here.  

The ‘protestivial’ is set to be the biggest disruptive climate protest in Australian history. Last year attracted 7000 people with 170 people arrested for paddling into the shipping channel to block coal ships. Organisers are expecting this year to be the biggest yet.

To arrange media comment, please contact 0414 199 645. 

Photos and videos will be uploaded throughout the event here. 

John Weate, Rising Tide spokesperson, grandparent and former Mid Coast Labor councilor says: 

“ExxonMobil’s own scientists learned that coal and gas would cause runaway global warming in 1977 - that’s when I first became concerned about the climate. Now in 2025 we are seeing the impacts of that crisis everywhere with unprecedented floods, fires and extreme weather. But the Australian government is continuing to pour fuel on the fire by approving and subsidising new coal and gas projects that imperil my grandkids’ future. 

“Though they try to hide it, current government policies put us on track for over 3 degrees of warming by the end of this century. Newcastle City Council is already having to plan for sea level rise impacting Bar Beach and other beloved parts of our town, and my grandchildren will face a worse and more dangerous standard of living than my generation. The economic and human cost of burning coal is incalculable.

“It’s so exciting to finally be underway at the world’s largest coal port after a huge amount of organising by hundreds of committed volunteers. We have a huge program of training, workshops and education, family friendly kids activities and amazing live music from some of Australia’s best artists, including ARIA award winners Lime Cordiale and Montaigne. This is exactly the action we need to protect my grandkids’ generation.”

Louis Leimbach, Lime Cordiale, said, ahead of their Saturday night performance: 

“The climate crisis is one of the most urgent issues of our time. It threatens the safety, livelihoods and future of all Australians — and people right across the world.

“We’re excited to be performing at the Rising Tide People’s Blockade, because right now, our government is failing to plan for a safe future.”

Oli Leimbach, Lime Cordiale:

“We’ve both always loved nature and wanted to do our part to help the planet, so we’re proud to stand with the thousands rising up to say: enough is enough. The time for real action is now.

“We hope to see massive crowds supporting the call for funding for new jobs and industries for the Hunter region and a sensible plan to move away from coal.”

Media contact: 0414 199 645 / media@risingtide.org

Background

The 2024 People’s Blockade of the World’s Largest Coal Port saw 7,000 people gather in Newcastle for a week-long protest calling for an end to new coal and gas projects and increased funding to support workers during the transition away from coal. It culminated in the largest single act of civil disobedience for climate action in Australia’s history and attracted international media attention, with 170 people getting arrested for blockading the Newcastle coal port.

Organisers are expecting the 2025 People’s Blockade of the World’s Largest Coal Port to be the biggest yet.

Previous
Previous

Police lines established in Newcastle Harbour as People’s Blockade of World’s Largest Coal Port enters second day

Next
Next

“Cowardly and Draconian”: NSW Gov attempts to stop the People’s Blockade of Newcastle Coal Port with  “Marine Exclusion Zone”