Coal ship movements suspended by Newcastle coal port protest

Sunday 30 November

Coal ship movements have stopped for the day in Newcastle after thousands of protestors joined the People’s Blockade of the World’s Largest Coal Port, with approximately one hundred arrests today, on top of 11 protestors charged yesterday.

Rising Tide has received confirmation from the Port Authority of NSW that no more coal ships will enter the harbour for the rest of the day. In light of this commitment all protesters have left the water and are safely back on land. A cargo ship is scheduled to depart from the Port of Newcastle this afternoon.

Earlier today the coal ship named Ragnar was scheduled to dock at Kooragang 9 used by Newcastle Infrastructure Group as part of their Kooragang coal terminal and bound for Taichung, the site of one of the world's largest coal fired power stations. The Ragnar coal ship was unable to enter the harbour and was turned around as a result of the protest. See ship tracker images here. 

Several actions took place earlier in the day with police making dozens of arrests, see Rising Tide’s media release from earlier today for details here. 

Zack Schofield, Rising Tide organiser says, “Today’s protest is a victory for people power. Our intention was to stop coal ships from entering or leaving the Port of Newcastle and we’ve succeeded in doing this today. By continuing to approve new coal and gas mines, the Albanese government is failing to protect us from the worst impacts of climate change and when the government fails us, the people must rise.”

Allison Stockman, early childhood educator who was arrested this morning says:

 “I swam into the shipping channel today because I’ve seen first hand the impacts that climate change is having around the world. I see so much potential in the children that I teach, and the fact that they may not be able to realise their potential because we’re destroying their future is just absolutely devastating for me. It was a difficult decision to decide to swim into the channel today and I was scared and nervous. I didn’t take this decision lightly but if I don’t do this then who will?

Catrina Sturmberg, Newcastle doctor, 

“Working as a doctor, I’ve seen how tragedy can strike anyone at any time. Climate disasters are increasing around the globe. To those making the decisions to approve new coal mines, to invest taxpayer money in propping up gas projects, I would like to say this: There is no ivory tower tall enough to isolate you and your children from the impacts of climate change. Like it or not, we are all in this together. I am stopping coal ships today for the future of my unborn child and all children everywhere.”

Vision and photos available here 


Media contact: 0414 199 645 / media@risingtide.org.au

Next
Next

More coal ships disrupted by People’s Blockade of Newcastle Coal Port as police make arrests